Thermal Sensor Based Monitoring System for Early Detection
C-DAC Thiruvananthapuram has developed a portable and economical high accuracy data acquisition device for the early detection and screening of breast cancer under the project funding of Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY). The project was jointly executed with C-MET, Thrissur and Malabar Cancer Centre (MCC), Kannur. This indigenously developed device can be used for initial screening of women by health sector and can refer potential patients for mammography. It can play a vital role in the early diagnosis of breast cancer thereby facilitating the best treatment and care at an earliest possible stage.
The system consists of a battery operated portable Data Acquisition hardware interfaced to Graphical User Interface software via Bluetooth. The Data Acquisition hardware collects the breast temperature from a body worn wearable device with thermal sensors. The display interface is capable to generate Breast thermal profile 2D charts and reports which can be easily inferred by a low skilled health worker. No special skills or training is required for operating the device.
The product has completed successful clinical trials at Malabar Cancer Centre (MCC), Kannur. C-DAC has filed one Indian patent application and two copyright applications for this technology. The device shall also be used for other medical applications were thermistor based high accurate data needs to be acquired and represented.
- Ensures privacy of women
- Battery powered and portable
- Can be used in remote locations
- Light weight & Easy to use
- Economical and useful for mass screening
- No initial setup time
- Suitable for any age group of women
- No special skills or training required
- Does not require specialist interpretation
- Do not inflict any pain and no radiation exposure
- The developed technology has been transferred to M/s Murata Business Engineering India Private Limited (MBEI), Hyderabad, a wholly owned subsidiary of a Multinational Company Murata Manufacturing Company, Japan for commercialization
Contact Details for Techno Commercial Information
Control & Instrumentation Group,
Phone: +91-471-2723333, 2726721
Fax: +91-471-2722230, 2723456